Friday, May 9, 2014

Update

I just realized I have not updated this blog for four months and I will not allow myself to feel guilty because my time has been occupied with things that will help my community. I intend to come back to writing as soon as possible once I'm finished with a couple of projects. To give you an update of 'part' of what I'm doing, I'm currently in Istanbul attending/presenting at the 2nd Middle East and Asia Conference on Female Genital Mutilation. It's an extremely sensitive topic and one that needs to be tackled in Oman and in Dhofar in particular. No one is keen to be the one to start tackling this issue, but after years of slowly gathering data and understanding the topic, I am no longer hesitant. However, I am also a firm believer in starting any awareness-raising by gaining support of authorities instead of adopting an us-and-them approach that many activists tend to follow. Ministry of Health five-year plan 2006-2010 intended to start raising awareness on FGM; however nothing was done. Perhaps the topic was too sensitive? Perhaps they didn't have the will to start tackling? Perhaps they didn't find the right people on the ground to do the dirty work? I have been speculating a lot. In all cases, the government has tried. Many of you may remember that I have been writing openly about FGM since 2011 on my blogs and in the newspaper. I have received endless criticism and also a lot of support. I started studying FGM practices in Dhofar in 2006. Although no detailed studies have been conducted, the general picture is very clear. It's extremely prevalent, it's harmful, and it has to stop. Nuff said for the moment. Bear with me until I'm organized enough to start SAR (Smart-Awareness-Raising), which is a tricky thing to accomplish in Oman.


9 comments:

  1. I wrote a letter to the woman from the MOH in charge of education materials in clinics in Oman? I got no reply from her whatsoever.

    Also, there was a study conducted, by someone at SQU on the benefits of FGM (but I could not get a hold of it and nor did he give it to me) so where else to go, I don't know.

    I think a study by gynecologists in Oman on the effects of FGM on the female population (just medical, psychologoical is a bit beyond scope) would be great, but no one seemed willing to get to supprt something as sensitive as this (though I did volunteer to work for free as the research assistant and write the literature review ect....).... I don't where else to go with being more proactive you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no detailed studies? did you miss the y magazine article?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do, I volunteer to help find the correct people to start in Al Hamra Oman (sensitive area). I am an outsider and have no say but I know men and women they respect whose say will count.

    I imagine you'd need simlar persons in other regions to volunteer as well, along with support of the medical community in Oman/Ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All power to you, brave one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I salute you. I taught in Dhofar for two years and maintain strong links. I actually went home and vomited the day I found out that my lovely, gentle, bright, funny female students had probably suffered through this. It has to stop, it's simply wrong, and i think your method of gaining support from high-up is the right one. Imagine if this was denounced by the MOH, or during Friday prayer. It needs to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon: a magazine article????: I am talking academic studies, medical, psychological, or anthropoligical. If I mean non-concrete stuff, I'd say blogs do well enough. I mean studies that can convince people with facts from doctors, religious authorities, psychologists... Sigh... It is a lot to accomplist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan: I read a story once where a family patriarch gathered the adults together and told them that if any female child in the family suffered FGM, he would cut all ties. Maybe, this is where it needs to start with the fathers of the nation taking the lead

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I truly be so ignorant of what happens in my society..?! I've never heard of any Female Genital Mutilation in Oman.

    More hard facts and specific stories need to be heard from the ladies that have actually suffered from FGM before this can truly be considered as an issue in Oman or Salalah....

    ReplyDelete